Monday, July 20, 2015

I miss you but I LOVE Malawi!








Hellllllooooo Familia!!! How are you guys doing?? I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma Egg:( But hey she'll be happier in the spirit world I think. it's all about the eternal perspective babbbbyyy.

I'm currently in a threesome with Sister Browning and Sister Solomone... we have to cover both of our areas, so chilimoni and mandala. and it's impossible haha, we seriously can't see everyone we need and so we have to leave some people out:( it's really sad... and i'm really hoping that soon we can just focus on our area!! Transfers are in 2 weeks so this shouldn't last too much longer!

Alright here we go, you know the drill. funnnn facts:
1. Malawians LOVE gospel music... seriously that's all they listen to. or hard core rap. and someone was listening to Ed Sheeran on the bus and I could hear it through his headphones... tender mercy baby
2. They think Americans talk like Chinese people because we talk so fast so when they see us they go "jing jong ting mong ming" yeah.... who even knows
3. So... this is weird and maybe confusing so just try to follow. So in Malawi... Mae and Brighton or Mae and Boston are considered to be brothers and sisters... but Sam's kids and Kari's kids would be considered cousins. It's weird and I don't get it.

Okay into my week....
Wednesday: so since we have to split up our time, there is no messing around. We crammed all we could into  Wednesday!! We taught 6 lessons! We met with a referral that we got, and their names are Alex and Edwin and they are just great guys. They both have friends that are members! They were really intrigued with the Book of Mormon... which most people are. I looovve introducing the Book of Mormon because the people down here love the "word of god" and so either they refuse to believe the Book of Mormon or they LOVE it. it's great.
FUNNY STORIES: 1. Someone thought Sister Solomone was old enough to be a mom... like 27 haha yikes. most people don't believe that i'm only 19 because of how tall I am... oh well. 2. got my first marriage proposal baby. and man was he persistent. we finally just had to walk away... eish. 3. some random guy asked to take a picture of us... ew. like why does he need a picture of us... and he kept following us, so we grabbed a random guy to be in the picture with us.

Thursday: FIRST BUCKET SHOWER. fun stuff guys... you should try it. Then we went to Nkolakosa and met with one of my very favorite investigators. His name is Frasier and he is 72 and he is the epitome of Con Thueson hahahaha i'm sorry dad. But I think that's the reason Frasier and I get along so well. He loves to talk about educational stuff, and ask me if we have even taught him an official lesson yet?? we haven't. we just always talk to him and try to teach a lesson but then he just talks and talk and talks about random church things that he learned before. We gotta buckle down with him next time. He loves to read and keeps asking me to bring him a Liahona (Ensign) But I tried to get up and leave after we ended the lesson... but no he sat me down and taught me about my president Barack Obama... come on people tell me this guy doesn't remind you of Con Thueson?? I'll get a
picture with him next time I see him!! He is just an intelligent happy guy who just loves his grandchildren.... CON THUESON.

Friday: We got water back... wahoooo! We spent the day in Sister Browning's area, and a sweet member made us toast and hot chocolate. Seriously the people here are way too nice to us, they always give us the nicest seats in the house and always offer food. Really Malawians are the best people on earth.
FUNNY STORY: so we met with a recent convert named Kenneth and he is the best. He told us that he is convinced that God just has a giant computer with all of our names and what our future is, and that's how he keeps track of us. I liked it... so i just went with it haha. oh and I contacted 3 people in a vodka shop not even realizing what was surrounding me until we got out and my companions couldn't stop laughing. oh well... they deserve to hear the gospel as well!!

Saturday: so you know how I have complained how much trash is in Blantyre? welll.... Mormon helping hands went around picking up trash and we're doing it every Saturday for the next month. and then just to give you another example of "african time" we were all supposed to meet and start the service at 8... what time did we actually start?
9:30.... gotta love it. Then we focused the rest of this day to meeting with less-actives!! They were all pretty young.. about my age and one wants to go on a mission! his name is Martin!!

Sunday: Tenson came to church!!! Such a good guy... we are hoping to meet his wife and four kids this week. But he really liked church! We had to go to both sacrament meetings cause 2 areas = 2 branches. Then we went to my favorite area!! Mt. Pleasant!! We met with William and FUNNY STORY: I was teaching him the Restoration okay? and i was just at the climax... joseph Smith was literally about to see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in person... and bam, Williams little niece Damanda walked by and I got distracted and starting talking to the 3 year old. I have a serious issue with my love of children. My companions just started laughing... I probably ruined the spirit... but the little kids here just seriously pull at my heart strings. I'm sending pictures and you'll see. Then one of our appointments in that area bailed so we played with the little kids for about a half hour, and they were OBSESSED with my camera... they kept taking it from me and wanted to take pictures of everything. Instead of telling them to say "cheese" for pictures we would tell them to say "nsima" and they would just keep chanting it hahahaha. I got a video and I'll try to add it to dropbox but dropbox is struggling right now.

that was my week in a nutshell people. I seriously wish you could all just be down here with me... but you're all doing your own good things all over the world!!!

This week I started studying conference talks from April and people... you should all read "The Comforter" by Henry B. Eyring! He gave the talk in the women's conference and it is so good. He talks about how the reason why we feel the need to help those in need is because it is part of our baptismal covenant... it is now part of us. and when we got the gift of the HOly ghost we recieved power to help strengthen those who stand in need of comfort. Seriously now that I teach people about a baptismal covenant... i've looked at it in a whole new perspective! I've discovered a lot of my weaknesses this week.... I'm really bad at allowing silence in lessons. but silence can be powerful, and it gets the investigator thinking and allows them to open up more. So it's something that i've really been working on. I also really doubt myself when it comes to investigators asking difficult question... but I need to realize that I just need to teach the basics and I don't need to know everything!

I MISS AND LOVE YOU ALL but I LOVE MALAWI
nima ku konda!!!

Sister Thueson

No comments:

Post a Comment